Thursday, May 10, 2012

Saving and Spending

When I first began teaching at Copper Hills High, there weren't enough French classes for a full schedule, so I got to teach Financial Literacy. This was an exciting class, let me tell you. I certainly did a lot of research every night. One day, a kid raised his hand and asked, "Could you please explain to me the difference between a Roth IRA and a 401K?" I smiled awkwardly and said, "We won't be covering that until tomorrow." That night, I spent the evening vigorously researching investment options and calling my friends who were into that kind of stuff. Whew! I learned a lot! Well, one of the most memorable lessons I taught those Financial Literacy students was the Bathtub Analogy. This is so simple: you spend less than you make. You always want water to be at the bottom of that bathtub. We cannot all have every one of our hopes and dreams. We have to prioritize.

Each of us makes choices day-to-day on how to spend our precious, hard earned cash. Here are some things that I happily spend money on:
1-Traveling. A Vacation=A Memory. Memories are priceless. I think that trips are definitely worth saving for. There is nothing more exciting than boarding a plane and flying off into the sunset. Usually, I don't even care where I'm going. I just like to take off on an adventure. My mom always told me growing up that if I ever got depressed or needed therapy to let her know and she would plan a vacation for us. Thanks to her, vacations have become my therapy.



2-New Clothes. I think it is thrilling to get a new outfit, at least once a season. Nothing is more exciting than walking out of a store with a bright new pair of shoes or an adorable summer dress. This definitely adds some color to the humdrum of life.

3-I am getting pickier and pickier about restaurants. However, there are a few restaurants that I can't get enough of and Cafe Rio is one of them. Seriously, if I am having a bad day, Cafe Rio makes it better. If I am having a good day, Cafe Rio is a great place to celebrate! And with the Rewards Card, it makes me feel like I need to keep buying meals so that I can work towards a free one!

4-Planning parties with friends or family. Seriously, there are so many themed parties to do and so many people to invite. Just last night, my friend put on a P Party! We all got to choose a P name (I was Penny), we ate Pasta Parchment dinners and played Pictionary. The Pina Coladas made a perfect spring drink! Before I decided to be a teacher, I used to say that I wanted to be a party planner. Wouldn't that be fun?






Now there are some things that I don't spend my money on. These include:

1-Books. Now don't get me wrong, I love to read. But hello--the Salt Lake Public Library system is amazing! You can put books and DVDs on hold and they are delivered right to the library near your home. It is all free and I can return them when I am done. This also makes moving a lot easier because books can be heavy! What would we do without libraries?

2-New cell phones. I kept my RAZR phone until it completely broke. They keep trying to upgrade me, but I am fine with a simple phone and a small texting plan. I know that I will probably have to jump on board with the cool Smart Phones/IPhones one day, but I am saving my pennies until then.

3-I have never owned an ipod/mp3 player in my life. Looking at this picture, though, makes me think I should eventually get one. I do have itunes on my computer and I do like music...hmmm...this one could possibly change. After all, bringing only a stack of library books on my plane rides does have a tendency to weigh me down.

4-New cars. My little Mazda just hit 90,000 miles. Ouch. The Mazda dealer also informed me that it needs new spark plugs, break fluid, rock chip repairs and...something else technical sounding. It does get me around, though, and I appreciate it.



Well, it is interesting to see what we all like to spend our money on and what we can do without. What are your priorities when it comes to spending?

11 comments:

  1. Awesome post.

    I remember you went through your share of Ford Mustangs back in the day... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mike!

    Haha...yes, going through three Mustangs in four years, because I kept totaling them all, is not much to brag about. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. NICE. :) I really like Cafe Rio too! I bought an iphone. I tend to spend my money on technology. I would like to do more with travel... I'll probably make my way back to Brazil again during Summer 2013.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! Iphones seem fun because there are so many possibilities with them--I just never take the time to get to know all the possibilities. Ooooh, I want to go back Brazil! Que saudades! Hey, I hear you are in a play this June! I will definitely have to come and see it! :)

      Delete
  4. I agree with spending some money on traveling. Memories are the one of the few things we can take with us into the next life. So traveling or simply spending time with family, friends and loved ones is a good investment.

    New clothes is a fun thing to buy too. I would love to get some new clothes but clothes are so expensive here in Europe. I'm waiting until we are in Utah this August to go on a little shopping spree ;)

    Rainer and I had our first date at Café Rio. We miss it like crazy! I can't wait to finally satisfy our craving for it this August!

    That's so fun that you like to put on theme parties. There is only one YW in our ward. I was thinking about doing a mini girl's camp/girl's night with her, her older sister, and the 2 sister missionaries. So far I was thinking about roasting marshmallows over the stove, teaching her a few girl's camp songs, maybe doing facials and playing games. Any other fun ideas, send them my way :)

    haha - I'm the same with with cell phones. I have a really old, cheap one that we just occasionally put 10 Euros on. I rarely use it and often forget I have one. I mainly use our landline or skype to make phone calls.

    I half agree with the book thing. I think if you really, really love a book, you should own it. But I also agree that it's not cool to own thousands and thousands of books. With Rainer's job we have to move a lot. So I want each move to be easy, simple and stress-free. I'm actually the opposite of a pack-rat. For me, less is more. I'm really happy not having a lot of things in our apartment (books included). I only want to keep things that we really love and need.

    I'm a daughter of a librarian, so I'm also all about using the library. Yet the library here in Erfurt doesn't have a lot of English books to choose from - especially books that I want to read. So I'm looking into getting a Kindle.

    I know there are a lot of people against e-readers. So let me explain:
    I was really skeptical about the whole e-reader thing at first. But the sales lady at Barnes and Noble said that I could try out a Nook for 2 weeks and if I didn't like it, I could bring it back for a refund. (This was with the old black and white Nook when it was fairly new back in 2010).

    So I tried the Nook out and fell in love with it from day one. When I came to Germany, I couldn't order books for my Nook anymore (complicated to explain) Anyways, I gave my Nook to my sister, who lives in the states, to use. Now I'm looking into getting a Kindle since I could order German and English books (and eventually Spanish and French books) on amazon.

    Just gathering information from your blog, it sounds like you really like music, books and traveling. I would recommend that you look into getting a Kindle Fire. You could listen to your music, read books, and so much more). It's really nice to have all your music and books in once place. It will save you a lot of space and weight in your carry-on when you travel: http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Fire-Amazon-Tablet/dp/B0051VVOB2

    Oh and lastly, I totally agree on the new car thing. I heard that the minute you drive a new car off the parking lot, it drops down significantly in value. I'm fine with old cars as long as they work and they are clean ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Brittany! We see eye-to-eye on so many things! Yes, shopping spree in Utah in August! I want to come with you! I didn't know you and Rainer had your first date at Cafe Rio! How awesome! That makes it kind of a sentimental place, doesn't it?

      Your girls camp party sounds super fun! I bet they love hanging out with you!

      I am the opposite of a pack-rat too! I am always wanting to throw things away. I hate overcluttered places. It is so nice to have space to sit and relax without stuff all around.

      You know, I really should consider a Kindle. I am going to France in July and I always take a backpack of books. It is annoying to have them weighing me down on the whole trip. I can see that a Kindle would be great for traveling. Wow, the Kindle Fire sounds perfect, actually! You could be a salesgirl for them. :)

      Yes, I like clean cars too. It is nice to see that people take care of their stuff, even when it is older.

      Delete
  5. Of course, since you never answer your phone anyway, it probably doesn't matter what kind of phone you have. LOL

    I too love the new clothes and traveling. I buy a lot of books and then never read them. I also like to read in French, so I buy stuff from amazon.fr, which the public library does not have.

    You are so cute. I was thinking that the bathtub analogy was going to be like "what drains you emotionally". For instance, in class yesterday, when I said that we were going to do a story and a kid makes this very loud heavy sigh/grunt as if he is about to go through some form of Chinese water torture. This kind of shenanigans exhausts me- especially at this time of the year.

    Ah well, I am off to eat breakfast (diet coke on cheerios- I need a pick-me-up) and off to school. Ciao!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Suzie! I recognized your voice in these "Unknown" emails by the first sentence! Hey, I think I called you last, girl! Our schedules to talk on the phone are not matching up. Maybe we need to give it a try this week. :)

      Oooh, I should look on amazon.fr. The library does have a super small French section.

      Oh my gosh--I love that emotional bathtub analogy. I have had kids moaning and groaning too about fun projects. Everybody has spring fever this time of year. It is hard to fight the urge to just put on movies all day.

      Mmmmm...hope you enjoyed your diet coke and cheerios!

      Delete
  6. BTW, this is Suzie, that last comment was by me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I shared this blog entry with my mom. This is what she wrote back to me:

    "Very cool blog. I like how she thinks. Travel and memories are one of the few things you take with you into the next life! I love that bathtub picture!!!!"

    I guess my mom and I think alike ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe, Brittany! Thanks for forwarding me that comment! I love your mom! Yes, it is nice to work on things like friendships, family relationships, travel and memories--those are the things that matter most in the big picture. :)

      Delete