Wednesday, July 11, 2012

More than Turbulence

I finally made to la belle ville de Paris! I am now collapsed in my comfy twin bed that will be mine for the next three and a half weeks. Awe--the view of the Eiffel Tower from the balcony cannot be beat--but it was not easy getting here, I tell you! I feel like I have been traveling for days. Yesterday morning, I boarded an early flight from SLC to Boston. I found my seat and looked over to see the guy next to me. He had just cut his hand underneath the seat and it was dripping blood. The flight attendant rushed over, "Do you need me to call the paramedics?" He looked up with a funny expression. "No, I just need some band-aids, please." I guess in society today, you always have to offer to the paramedics, even just for a cut. He just finished bandaging his hand, when the lady behind me put her toddler right on top of my seat. He grabbed my hair. She laughed, "Isn't he a cutie? He loves your hair too!" I didn't think he was a cutie. I was tired and just wanted to sleep. Nice for me, I got to hear him cry and have him kick my seat for that 4-hour trip. Needless to say, I was very happy to get off that flight and onto the flight to Paris.


The flight to Paris was pretty smooth. There was a French teenage girl next to me who wouldn't stop crying. I wondered what her story was. Why would she be sobbing like that? Is she missing her friends from the USA? Is she scared of flying? Did she just get dumped by her boyfriend? I thought of asking her what was wrong, but that could have made her even more upset. As we arrived at the gate, I thought to myself how happy I was that I had pre-reserved the Paris Shuttle to take me to the hotel. (When I came in 2009, I jumped on the metro with all my bags and it was crazy.) I got off the plane this morning and followed all the signs directing me to Paris Shuttle. As it turns out, I followed the wrong signs. I took off into Terminal 3, the Railway Station, which was far away from the arriving planes. I picked up the pay phone and called the number that I had used to reserve the Paris Shuttle. It was a free 0800 number, thank goodness. The lady who answered got frustrated by the fact that I was not in the usual pick-up place in Terminal 2. I told her that I would take the airport subway back to Terminal 2, but she insisted that I stay in Terminal 3. She asked where exactly in the terminal I was. I tried to explain but she insisted I ask somebody around me for directions. I saw a guy walking out of the bathroom. I shouted at him, "Where are we?" He looked at me funny, "Terminal 3." I told her that. She finally just said to wait outside by the taxis. I waited for 15 minutes. No shuttle. I called again. Frustrated lady. Frustrated me. Waiting outside in the rain. Still no shuttle. This happened over the course of TWO HOURS! Every time I called she said that the shuttle would be arriving to pick me up in five minutes and then hang up. Once or twice, the lady said that the driver couldn't find me, but to stay put anyway. I felt so alone. I looked at all the people coming and going. They all knew exactly how to get where they were going. I was stranded with a French lady getting more and more upset each time I called to tell her that I was still waiting. I always suggested that I go back to where the shuttle usually picks up guests but she refused. She kept saying that she didn't want me running from place-to-place. Finally, I just decided that I was done waiting. I got back on the Airport express train and went back to Terminal 2. I called the lady from Terminal 2 to tell her I was waiting there now. She was so upset that I disobeyed her orders to stay. Hello! I waited there for two hours! "Madame, we will send one more shuttle to try and find you, but this will be your last chance!!"



I cannot tell you the sigh of relief I felt when I finally saw the minivan with Paris-Shuttle on the side as it pulled up. I ran to the guy with my confirmation paper. Finally! Get me out of here! He looked at it and said, "No, you reserved with parishuttle.com. We are a different company--we have a hyphen in our name." He then drove off. What the heck? Who was the crazy person that decided to have two Paris shuttle companies competing with a hyphen of a difference?! Could it get any worse? Well, to make a long story short, my plane arrived at 7:00am and by 11:00, I was finally on the correct shuttle. I I did get a nice tour of the city on my drive to this hotel. If a trip starts like this, I can't wait to see what other adventures are in store now.

7 comments:

  1. Oh Dear Charlotte!! What a horrible start to your trip! Praying that it will only get better from here! Love You!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. Thanks, Cyndi. It really can only get better and it already has. I hope you are enjoying your summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha oh wow, what a start. I took the train in when I flew there in '09, but no one told me that there were multiple exits from the metro stations, and I ended up on the wrong side of the Seine, with 2 large bags, and it was really hot. It probably took me an extra hour to get to my hotel, and I was only 5 minutes from it. Hope your trip improves! Even with all of the drama getting there, I'm so jealous of you right now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Melissa, I am glad that I am not the only one with difficulties traveling! Your experience sounds very similar to mine. I wish you could be here to meet me at the Opera de Paris like you did in '09!

      Delete
  4. Poor Charlotte! I'm glad you made it to Paris safely. Yet I'm sorry to hear all the horrible experiences you had getting there. It's good that you can speak French to get the help you need. But then again that lady on the phone wasn't very helpful. I'm happy to hear that you were able to get on the right shuttle in the end and weren't left to jump on the Metro with all your bags.

    When I went on my mission, me and a few other missionaries flew into Paris. None of us spoke French and we got lost in that airport and missed our flight to Hamburg. No one would speak to us in English or help us out. We called our mission president to tell him we missed our flight and he gave us instructions for getting on the next flight. He was really upset (not at us...but at Church Headquarters). He said he has told Church Headquarters time and time again to NOT send the German-speaking missionaries through Paris since most missionaries get lost and end up missing their flights (good to know we weren't the only ones who got lost and missed their flight).

    I told this story to someone from France and they said that even for the French people the Paris airport can be confusing.

    But man...those two shuttle services are super confusing! One of the companies should really change their name. That's ridiculous to have just a hyphen be the difference.

    I hope the rest of your trip is a positive experience for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting story, Brittany. Yes, the Paris airport is huge and confusing. I can see why many tourists initially say that the Parisians are rude. I am glad that I have been able to stay several days here in the city. Once you get to know them, they are the nicest people on earth. I have met several cool people on the metros as we travel around. They usually avoid eye contact, but once I kindly ask them a question about French grammar or culture, they are so happy to help. We've had some great conversations these past few days. Do you often meet people as you take public transportation?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's good that you have met some nice and helpful Parisians. It sounds like you are learning a lot so far on your trip.

    I think it depends on what city or area you are in Germany. I have found that people in the south of Germany are super friendly and more open to talk to compared to the north or the east. (Although people from the north and east can be friendly too). West Germany is also more open and friendly since it is more westernized.

    I talked to more people on my mission in Germany than I do now. Generally I don't talk that much since I'm kind of a shy person.

    Like the French people, Germans are also usually happy to help if you ask them a question about their language or culture :)

    ReplyDelete