Friday, July 27, 2012

If you want something, ask for it!

I have recently realized that we can have such great experiences in life if we are just not afraid to ask for them. If we don't ask, the answer is always no. If we do ask, often times the answer is yes! Let me give you an example: on Monday, the other teachers and I were doing another walk entitled Time Travel, Tricks and Treats around Saint-Sulpice. We began at one of France's ritziest hotels, l'Hotel Lutetia. Our book informed us that this hotel has housed several famous guests including Picasso and Matisse. Charles de Gaulle also spent his honeymoon there. If you are interested in the nicest suite, it can be yours for a mere 2,500 Euros per night! Janine, from our group, decided that she was going to ask if we could take a tour of this hotel. In our grubby tennis shoes and backpacks, we walked past the finely-dressed guards and up to the reception desk. She asked if we would be able to see any of the rooms. The Armenian guy who worked there was so friendly. He said that not only would we be able to take a tour, but he would show us the famous suite where Charles de Gaulle spent his honeymoon. We rode up a high-class elevator and he let us into this enormous room. There were stairs leading everywhere inside the suite, beautiful paintings and mirrors on the walls and a breathtaking balcony that framed the Eiffel Tower. Now wasn't that worth asking for?


We walked down a few streets and we were at one of the most famous ice cream sandwich shops in the world: Pierre Hermé. He is always inventing new things from triple chocolate crunch to rose petal dream. I ordered a marbled pistachio and cherry macaron treat. It cost nearly 7 Euros ($9) which could have bought me a box of Fat Boys at home, but each bite was definitely something to be remembered.



On Tuesday, we took a mini trip to the medieval city of Provins. This is a place I had never been before. It was so fun and interesting. We took a tour of the castle tower and museum. We also watched a show where actors, dressed in all sorts of Renaissance-looking dresses and gear, galloped around, doing tricks and singing old tunes.





Wednesday, I spent the whole day with a French friend Laetitia. I have been in touch with her sporadically for the past three years. We found each other through epals, looking for a penpal exchange for our students, but had never met in person. She teaches English here and we are planning on doing a big penpal exchange next year with our students. Here we are in front of her new, gated private school that she will be teaching at in the Fall. She was the best hostess I could ever have stayed with. She showed up at the train station to pick up Elizabeth and me. I didn't know exactly what she looked like, so I just smiled at a really cute lady and it was her! She had a whole day of excursions planned for us. She took us to see some castles, churches and a fun city called Meaux in the countryside. We visited a library there and they were giving out free books! She had never seen that before and neither had I. Elizabeth and I filled our arms with all sorts of previously-used books, written in French. I got one called L'Aventure de la Pomme de Terre (The Adventure of the Potato)! I love potatoes! I was so excited!




At night, she invited us to have dinner at her friends' home. It was a typical French dinner with a really dynamic French family. It began at 9pm, just like the French usually do, and lasted until nearly midnight. These people were so friendly! Their house was filled with animals, which was a little different for me and not typical of the French. Many of the French I have met have one or two dogs or cats, so this was a unique experience. I am not a huge animal person, but I reminded myself to have a fun time and not worry too much. The lady of the house picks up strays off of the streets and gives them shelter. There were 13 cats and several dogs that came in and out of the house at will. One sickly-looking cat sat the whole evening on a pillow right next to me. I tried not to look at it too much. Everything on the bookshelves and mantle was glued down with super glue. This is so that when the animals roam around the house, nothing gets knocked down. Great idea. The husband said, when his wife was out of the room, that he wished they weren't glued down. He wanted them to break so he could get rid of all those trinkets. They were very fun people and they loved to laugh.




They made us a several-course meal with drinks, appetizers, fried steak, baguettes, and vegetables. Dessert consisted first of salad, then a gourmet cheese platter, and finally a berry-cookie crumble. We had fun as we all laughed, told stories and stuffed ourselves, not knowing how many courses remained. For example, the man of the house was wearing a t-shirt, advertizing some marathon somewhere. I asked him if he had run a marathon in the past. He and his wife laughed and said that somebody else ran the marathon and he got the shirt. Haha. We even got to play some board games afterward. This is what I do with my family at home. I believe it is really true what they say: it is hard to get into French social circles, but once you do, they are your friends for life. Laetitia really knew how to show us a good time and share with us an authentic, day-to-day snapshot into the life of a French family. Thanks, lady!

4 comments:

  1. Suzie says: Charlotte- you are so fun. I love the pictures you sending. Hey, one of the teachers that I have met her at the IB training takes her students to France for 2 weeks around Thanksgiving. She has partnered with some international school so the kids only pay $650 for their flight (a deal she found with Delta, but she lives on the east coast) and then the kids go to school for 2 weeks where they are speaking French all day and then stay with the student's family and then they switch it around. Since a touristy trip to Paris costs more than double that, I am interested into looking into that. I am going to start looking for schools online. Can you see if you notice any particular names while you are in Paris and the surrounding area. The lady I met actually goes somewhere in Southern France, but I would love it I could work out closer to Paris so they could have some touristy things AND have a language immersion situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzie, thanks for reading! You are fun yourself, lady! That trip for students sounds exciting! I'll have to find out more about it when I get home!

      Delete
  2. Great entry! I love hearing about your adventure...keep 'em coming! Love You!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cyndi, I appreciate you reading! Thanks! Miss you!

      Delete