Friday, June 8, 2012

Surprise Visitors

It has been a nice, toasty Friday at the French Camp. After hours of games, lectures on the Tour de France and sharing langue de chat cookies (literally means cat tongue cookies...mmmm) out on the front lawn, I hopped in my ovenlike car and headed home for the weekend. I was singing The Scarlet Pimpernel soundtrack at the top of my lungs, reliving my days as a chorus member in this play last summer, when I looked up to see...not one, not two, but THREE vans parked in front of my mom's house! Who are all these people visiting my mom on a Friday afternoon?!!





The first truck I saw had long hoses coming out of it into the front living room. Oh, the Carpet Cleaners were here. Nice! I tiptoed inside and looked up at the staircase. Amazing! All the crumbs and cat fur were gone and replaced with fresh, clean stairs. Awe, summer cleaning is great! My mom ran around the corner to greet me. "Isn't this exciting?!" she shouted. "Your cleaning of your bedroom inspired me! Our house is going to look like a Time Share before the day is through!" The carpet cleaner man came to find my mom and have her sign the receipt. He smiled as he admired his work. "I love doing this job!" he said. "Your house was pretty easy too! I see a lot of blood and urine in this job. Just last week, I had to clean up a suicide. All the cops do is take out the body and we do the rest. I have also gotten used to cleaning up drug busts." Oh. Not what I was expecting him to say. Sounds challenging. And I thought I had lots of stories to tell as a high school teacher!






I then went around the corner and who was in the kitchen, polishing the cupboards?! You guessed it--the Merry Maids. My mom has lived in this house for 5 years now and this is the first time we have had maids come by to deep clean. The fridge is gleaming and all the baseboards are sparkling white! The showers also look brand-new!














Lastly, I noticed a whole crew of kids out mowing the lawn and pulling weeds. I looked in the garage to see five boxes of D.I. junk from my mom's own closet. What a transformation we have had here this week! If only cleanliness was something that you could hold onto forever. It just doesn't last long enough! I feel bad now because I have to make some homemade pizza dough and sauce for a group date in her perfect kitchen. When your house is this clean, it makes you never want to dirty a dish or take a shower again!

5 comments:

  1. You live at home? I thought you had roomies. I am so happy for your mom. I wish this luxury for myself, but since I am married someone who adheres strictly to the policy of "if you can do it yourself, you shouldn't hire it out", I am stuck in messy house ville forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why does it say I am an unknown contributor? I logged in. Zut! (this is Suzie)

    BTW- hilarious that your mom said it will look like a time share.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW- langues de chat- I've never eaten/nor heard of them. Where did I miss out on that one? Where did you buy them? Did you bake them? What did you tell them about the Tour de France?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah! Surprise! I live at home for the summer. I know, my mom has mentioned the "Time Share" house several times this week.

    Suzie, I have some langues de chat left. I wonder if you'd want to meet up with me tomorrow afternoon (around 2:30 or so) and you could try them out. I had a student go to France in April and bring me back 5 boxes. They are very similar to vanilla wafers, only longer and thinner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed the tips you are providing on your website. Az Carpet and Tile Cleaning is the best carpet cleaner in Phoenix Arizona. It is remove of stains, dirt, grit and sand for long term cleaning. Thanks for the the information……

    ReplyDelete