Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Send the Kids to Summer Camp

Today marks Day #2 of the French Camp! We have had a pretty fun start, let me tell you! As I was pulling into BYU's campus yesterday morning, I thought to myself, "Wow! This is where all the kids hang out all summer!" Outside on the soccer field, hundreds of little munchkins were running back and forth, kicking the ball and screaming at the top of their lungs. Later in the day, those same Soccer Camp kids were coming out of a classroom and whoa--you could smell them from a mile away! In other areas of campus, you could hear the huge groups of EFY teenagers doing cheers as they clomped from place to place...and then it was time to welcome the 42 new French Camp arrivals. (If you are wondering why there is a picture of Nutella here, it is because seriously, who does not like Nutella? I will get back to this picture later.)



We had a parent meeting with those 42 chillins yesterday morning to kick off the day. Many of these kids were very scared, looking at the floor as all of us teachers filed in and told them of all they could expect out of this camp: arts and crafts, fencing, soccer, cooking, games, music, dance, presentations by BYU Faculty--that's right! we will turn them into little Frenchies in no time. Most of the parents were beaming. I am sure they were excited for their kiddos to be entertained while they got to enjoy a summer vacation themselves. After the parents kissed them goodbye, it was time for the placement tests. The kids took a computerized test as well as completed an oral interview with one of us teachers. We used the results to decide if they would go in the Intermediate class or in my Advanced class for the mornings. There were all levels of French speakers in these interviews. One kid came into my interview room with his glazed-over eyes and ipod playing. He collapsed in the chair. I asked him, "Comment tu t'appelles?" (What is your name?) He stared at me with a blank expression of don't know, don't care. After a minute, he said, "Am I supposed to talk to you in French?" Oh, buddy. This is going to be a long three weeks for you! I guess he is one that the parents signed up and shipped off, saying, "Have fun! See ya later!" At the same time, on the other end of the spectrum, I saw some super genius kids! One 14 year-old boy spoke French to all of us teachers with no hesitation. He said that his parents spoke to him in French all growing up and now it is second nature! How adorable! I want my kids to be like that!



They survived the tests yesterday and today was the first official day of classes. I was very happy with my Advanced Group. They came to class smiling and ready to learn. We sang a few songs, took notes, talked all about ourselves and played a game. In the middle of the class, I surprised them with a Nutella and Crackers Break! Mmmmm....now you see why I put up a picture of Nutella earlier on. After lunch at the Morris Center, we split up into smaller groups. I hung out with the Fencing kids. They were pretty good! Fencing is a serious sport with tons of rules! I didn't realize that you have to shake hands with your opponent after a match or you get disqualified. The kids put on all the gear and showed off their stuff. I watched as some EFY kids peaked into the classroom. One kid whispered to another that he wanted to learn how to fence. Only at French Camp, buddy!



We then walked down the campus to Cooking Class. On the menu today? French onion soup! The kids did everything--they cut the onions, cooked the broth, cut up the baguette and put it all together. C'etait delicieux! (We taught them that expression today.)











These kids already seem to have made lots of friends here. I am actually a big fan of summer camps. I remember that my mom shipped me off to some Mayflower Camp when I was about 10. All I remember is making all sorts of boats and tools out of toothpicks and marshmallows. This type of thing makes great memories forever.

11 comments:

  1. LOVE! I need summer camp for me. I wish I could convince either my students or my own children to partake of such amazing experiences. Do most of the kids live in the dorms?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I want a summer camp for me too, Suzie! I love being entertained! Yes, we have 4 boys and 11 girls in the dorms this year. The rest commute from home. The dorm situation is a pretty good set-up. They are going to 7 Peaks this weekend and attending church at the Foreign Language student ward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. FUN!! I'm so jealous! I want to go to a French summer camp at BYU! Those kids are so lucky! Are there other summer foreign language camps as well? Or just French? I think it would be fun to put on a German summer camp :)

    That's too funny that you went to a Mayflower Camp when you were little. Where was that held? I have some ancestors that came to America on the Mayflower. Are you related to the pilgrims as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Brittany. It is such a cool program that the French department first put together in 2010. They have Chinese Star Talk and Arabic Star Talk. So far, those are the only three language camps available. They really should do a German camp. I think that could be so much fun! You would be somebody cool to teach some of the classes too.

      I can't remember where I went to the Mayflower Camp--some elementary school put it on in the summer, I believe. Oh, I haven't checked to see if I am related to the Pilgrims, but that is so cool!

      Delete
    2. Hurray for the French department putting a summer camp together!

      That's crazy that the French camp is still fairly new. It makes me think of the Timpanogos Storytelling Festival in that the Storytelling Festival started out really small here in Utah but has turn into a pretty big popular thing. My mom went to the very first year of the festival and said it was held in the Ashton family's backyard. (The Ashton family is the one that owns Thanksgiving Point and they are the ones that went to the National Storytelling Festival in Tennessee and had the idea to bring a storytelling festival to Utah)

      Anyways, now the Storytelling Festival in Utah has been around for about 23 years and it has gotten so big that they had to change the daytime locations twice. I hear this year they are using the Orem Shell AND some other location for "My Favorite Stories" and "Laughing Night" since the crowds are expected to be so big.

      Have you ever been to the storytelling festival? I'm excited to go this year! I'm only sad that my favorite storyteller, Donald Davis, won't be there this year.

      Anyways, I hope the BYU French camp is a huge success year after year and that they continue doing it for many years to come. Maybe someday I can send my future kids to it. ;)

      I also hope that the other language departments start summer camps as well. That's neat that they have Chinese and Arabic!

      Are you going to teach at the BYU French language camp every year? Or is it just a one year only type of thing?

      Delete
  4. Summer camps sound like great. How old do the kids have to be to start going? I ask because my son Alex will be learning French in elementary, and I think that would be an awesome experiance. Especially since we live on campus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For this camp, the kids are 14-18 years old. You put your son in French elementary?! How cool! I would want to put my kids in those immersion schools too! I wish I could have done that when I was little. You will have to let me know how you like the school, Dustin.

      Delete
  5. Summer camp was a defining event for me. It was at Lac du Bois the French speaking summer camp through Concordia Language Villages that solidified my love of all things French. It is hard to believe that 20 years have passed since I my first year of camp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, cool! I remember looking into those Concordia Language Villages in Minnesota at one point. I wanted to be a counselor there. How cool that you got to try that out.

      Delete
  6. Are you still on campus this week? Are you in the conference center because if you are I'm pretty sure we need to see each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked for you everywhere the last few weeks, but never saw you at the Conference Center. I am in the JFSB this week and next week. I could drop by and see you during lunch sometime.

      Delete