Sunday, June 9, 2013

$15 Waffle Mix, Oh My!

Hello again, everybody! I know--it's been over 6 months since I have written in my blog and I have honestly been going through withdrawals. I must say, life did get busy there for a while: I got engaged in December (yay!), then started planning my wedding right away (more work than I realized it would be, but fun to see it all come together), got hired at a new high school (can't wait!), packed up and moved houses and schools (threw away tons of junk like 5-year old Snickers bars, gross!)--you know, regular things we all get to go through sometime or another. My blog was neglected for a bit. The good news is it looks like life has finally settled down, I hope, and I am excited to be back! So, in those last few months, I have gone from Miss to Mrs., found some new focuses and hopefully have learned a few things that I can share with you all. I would love to hear your comments and/or receive the links to your blogs, if you don't mind sharing. :)


I got married on the bright and sunny day of March 28th and took off on an exciting honeymoon to Las Vegas and San Diego. As part of the package deal, we were granted three free nights in a deluxe resort hotel in Henderson, Nevada called the Ravella Inn. I had been invited to receive an award at a Teacher Conference down there, so the timing couldn't have been more perfect. One exciting thing about coming home from a honeymoon is opening the gifts. We invited our family over for pancakes and present-viewing and we got to share all the fun with them. It is neat to see all the creative and interesting ideas people have for gifts from first-aid kits to holiday cookie jars. People are also so very generous. We have been using gift cards each time we head out to Target or Home Depot and it has been so helpful. I am in the process of writing thank you cards right now, actually, and the saddest thing was to see a few gifts with no card attached. The card must have been either ripped off in the process of getting them to our house or somebody decided to remain anonymous. One awesome gift was a 3-foot Eiffel Tower with a bow tied on one side. How thoughtful for a French teacher! I posted the picture here. If that gift came from you, please let me know. It is one of our favorite decorations.


We also got some gifts from Williams and Sonoma, a fancy kitchen store. One such gift was a can of gourmet Blackberry-Lemon Waffle mix. A few Saturdays ago, I made us a batch of homemade sweet and tangy waffles using this mix with fresh blueberries. Yummy! I had never been to this store before, but we were in that area of Orem one afternoon so I decided to stop on by and see how much it would cost to get some more of that. The man directed me to the shelf of baking mixes: $15 Dollars!!! Can you believe it? I thought the price tag must have meant $15 for a case. No, it is $15 for one small can. I did the math and that equals about a dollar fifty per waffle! Who spends that kind of money on waffles?? No matter how tasty they were, I couldn't bring myself to buy another box of mix. This morning, I made up the last of them. It looks like those gourmet waffles will probably have to stay a nice memory.


Tomorrow begins the French Camp, my summer job for the month of June. Can't wait to meet all the kiddos!

2 comments: