Wednesday, June 20, 2012

More Ups and Downs

My last post was about the ups and downs of life. This post is about ups and downs of life part deux. Last night, I had some literal ups and downs: I went to a Trampoline Park in Orem. I honestly was a bit nervous because this was something that I had never done before in my life! I went with some good friends. When we got there, they made us practically sign our lives away. You have to fill out a bunch of online forms using their computer where they ask for your email address, physical address, birthday, phone number, basically anything and everything you that sets you apart besides your shoe size. Next you have to watch a safety video and sign a two-page waver stating that you understand all the rules. I couldn't hear one word from the safety video because of all the shouting and echoing in the gym. I signed my life away anyway, showed my driver's license and got a wristband. Finally, you leave your shoes and socks in a little cubby hole and take off to all the trampolines.




They claim that Open Jump is the biggest trampoline park in the USA. There were lots of trampolines with foam pits ahead of them, a section of dodge ball trampolines, trampolines that are really elastic and trampolines that are more firm...some of us ran over to the trampolines in the corner. We started jumping on the same trampoline and tried to get each other to go pretty high in the air. One minute later, a teenage boy worker ran up to us and told us that there was absolutely no double bouncing people! Oh. Sorry, kid. We didn't catch that in the video. We split up and started jumping around. My friends were really good. They easily jumped super high and from place to place. Many of them could do back flips and all sorts of tricks. I was the super cautious one in the group. I basically just jumped up and down. Yippee.





I had a really fun time, but soon one friend challenged me to jump from the trampoline onto this wall. Oh no! Something hard for me. I was so super scared--I don't even know why. I tried to get up the courage to push myself onto the wall in front of me, but whenever I did, I would get so scared and back out. My other friends joined in. "Come on! You can do it!" I felt the pressure. They all could jump easily onto the wall. Why couldn't I? They didn't let me just back out and say I couldn't do it. They kept encouraging me and thinking of new ways to get me to do it: "The wall is heaven and you just need a little jump to get there." I didn't want to let them down. I knew that I shouldn't let my fears rule over me. I spent about 20 minutes, trying to get the courage to bounce right up onto the wall--this is something I had never done before and I really wanted it. It was as if time stopped. I had to get up onto that wall. I don't know what happened, but I finally just forgot my fears and pushed myself up. I did it! It felt so good. I realized that this Trampoline Analogy works with life: many times we get so scared to do something that shouldn't be scary at all. Jumping up on that wall was fulfilling and fun. I was so happy that I stayed with that task until I made it up. I can always remind myself that we should let faith override our fears in life. There are many things to enjoy and we can do that if we have the confidence to follow through and focus on what we can do instead of our weaknesses. I think I will probably go back to the Trampoline Park. Hopefully I will be able to get up more quickly next time.

2 comments: